Thursday, March 27, 2008

Waiting, waiting, waiting


It seems to be a waiting time of year right now. I'm waiting on lambing to start, waiting on sheepdog trial season to start, waiting on Moss, Bill and Bart to get old enough to train, waiting on grass to grow on the pasture...waiting, waiting, waiting. I'm not the most patient person in the world to start with and i like to have things to be looking forward to and preparing for. One of my saddest days of the year is the last day of the last dog trial of the fall. It's always so bleak to think of months of waiting for the next one. I love the anticipation and the preparing to go - getting the dogs tuned up, getting the camper ready to go, packing, getting there, setting up and finally, STEPPING TO THE POST! Running a dog is quite the rush for me, being totally in the moment and putting everything into doing our best, reading the situation second by second and adjusting based on the dog, the sheep, the field, the sun, the wind, the everything. There are so many variables to account for and manage and it's just the best feeling in the world to be doing it. We got a nice taste of it at the trial in Florida a couple of weeks ago. Next up is the Shaker Village trial (May 2-4) and the Bluegrass Classic (May 13-18), both in Kentucky. The Bluegrass is probably the biggest, most prestigious trial i'll be able to attend this year so the anticipation is huge. But for now, waiting, waiting, WAITING.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you - I HATE waiting. I love having things to look forward to - enough so that I have to remember to enjoy the moment.

I'm loving your blog!